Wednesday, April 21, 2010

2nd section of Fiendfire done!

I really pushed myself on this and had another uninterrupted day to work so I put in a 15 hour day Tuesday and then finished the rest up from 9:30AM to 3PM today. I got the new part to be worked on re-stretched on my frame to work on tomorrow. Today more fabric cutting....

Tuesday 4-20-10 hooking

Wednesday 4-21-10

Next section to do

Monday, April 19, 2010

Weekend Hooking on Fiendfire

I had the whole weekend to myself while my 2 sons went out of town to Atlanta and took the car which was okay so it was just me and the dog. Right now we are just down to one car though mine should be back up and running soon. I really enjoy alone time especially with nice sunny days in the backyard. The neighbors even cut my 3 foot high grass for me since they have a riding lawn mower and it took them no time to get the field done. At least now I can have the grandkids come over and play in the yard now.

I sort off pushed myself on hooking about 12 hours each day and 7 today before I came in to use the computer. This is getting very colorful. I haven't done any real color planning on this, it's grabbing whatever looks good at the time to stick in the various spots. Originally this was just going to black and gray but my slash of black wasn't as big as I thought it was so I've been improvising. I've been digging through my already cut strips from previous projects and adding in to what I was going to use from just my reds and purples. I'm trying for waves of colors, going in and out of the blacks. I think it's working?

This is Saturday's hooking 4-17-19

This is Sunday's 4-18-19

And here's today- Monday's 4-19-20
I got the rest of the colors put in and am now working on the background grays. I've got to cut some more tonight so no hooking until tomorrow.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Fiendfire Bottom Section done

It took me 7 days to do the bottom part of Fiendfire. Though I still have the bottom bottom of it still to do and the sides on the bottom I'll get them later while I concentrate on the center parts. I have reprositioned the canvas to do the next section upwards. I've really been having to dig through my stash to do this one and hope I'll have enough grays to finish it. I've been working outside on this putting in 8-12 hours a day and really pushing myself to get this done by the end of the month. I know I won't have it done by the 24th, not if it took me 7 days just to get the bottom part done. I have at least 2 big sections to go and all the sides4-5 inches each side plus about 4-5 inches on the bottom too. Soar I am happy with it. It's more like doing one of my paintings than hooking and feeling very liberating for some reason.

Monday, April 12, 2010


I've started a new rug called "Fiendfire" named after a scene in the Harry Potter Deadly Hallows book where the Room of Requirement gets destroyed by magical fires that is full of all kinds of shaped flames. That's what the design reminds me of though the art was done years before I read the book. The original art was designed back in 2005 when I still designing tattoo flash. It was just a small sketch and I decided to try to do this as a rug and expanded on it somewhat. The rug will be roughly 3 x 7 on burlap in various sizes of wool strips, some of my spun yarns and unspun fleece.

Progress so far

Monday, April 5, 2010

SMILE Challenge and Tribal Sheep finished.

This is my entry for the SMILE Challenge on the Rug Hooking Daily group. I got it finished March 30. It was done on white linen in mainly 3's. The challenge part was the elf and I added in the sun, flowers and border and my season for the challenge was Summer. I think it's okay, This is one of the few pieces that isn't 100% my own artwork.

I just got the Tribal Sheep finished today and am almost through with the whipped edge. This is done in 3's except for the balck border which is in 8's on linen. I really like this one and am happy the way the gold background came out. There's about 4-5 shades of gold in it that I hand ddyed in different dye batches. The browns came from some wool that I got gifted with this year.

I'm going to try and finish up some of my UFO's--the Cat's paw runner, the tribal butterfly and Greenman before I tackle anything new. I'm also going to try and do some felting soon to make up some medicine pouches for the my show on April 24th.