More progress on the Birds. This is the center so I have to finish the left and right sides of it.
Not A Kilm rug designed 8-22-2012 started 9-11-2010
roughly based on an antique rug I saw in Kent's Rare Hooked Rugs. I did a
lot of modifying and adding elements that weren't in the original rug
that I just did a very rough sketch of before it had to go back, This is
aproximately 24 x 50 on the other kind of monk's cloth. I have no idea
of the original colors as it was a not too focused B&W photo and
even the lines are sort of iffy too and it didn't have the whirly things
in the corners either--those are my own add ons. I think the original
artist was trying to copy a Kilm rug design at least that's my
impression of their art so that's why I'm calling it "Not A Kilm".
about half the rug stretched on a stretcher strip frame I use for
hooking, I wanted to try hooking in darker, more antique colors than I
normally use. I di a combination of removing color from some wools, then
marrying them with other and some overdying. The green on the spears
didn't stay as you can see in the next pictures. I stuck with golds,
gold tweeds, burgundy, reds, pinkish gray reds, and teals with black
With greens removed and replacing it with teals.
the inner background filled in. The main background is a black/navy
combo. Still trying to decide what the whirly things are going to be.
Catching up - Dull and grey with the promise of the sun coming out later on. Lucy sits in her gorgeous spaniel way, she had seen off poor Teddy, my daughter's whippet, ...
27 minutes ago